<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://makethebestofeverything.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Make the best of everything!: Butternut Squash Apple Sauce

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Butternut Squash Apple Sauce


Its still 90 degrees out.  But its after Labor Day.  When Labor day is over you're not supposed to wear white and you can start making Autumn butternut squash recipes.   I will also wait anxiously for Starbucks to start their "Pumpkin Spice Latte" season.


I have a 10 month old son.  I have been making homemade baby food for him since the spring.  Making my own baby food has given me a whole new appreciation for mixing vegetable and fruit flavors.  In our house, we mix zucchini with pears,  peas with pineapple, and cauliflower with apples.

Since I love butternut squash, and so does my son,  I decided to make a dessert we would both love!!

NO! I usually don't eat baby food!  My son is at the point in his development where he wants to eat
"Adult Human food"


I had heard of making applesauce in the crock pot before.  I decided to make my own crackpot applesauce, but to add my own twist, that being butternut squash.


Butternut Squash Applesauce 
Ingredients:
6 apples.  Use any kind of apple.  Its best to mix flavors.  I used 4 Gala and 2 Honey Crisp
1 small Butternut Squash.  This generates about 2 cups of 1/2 inch cubes 
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1 dash nutmeg 
1 tablespoon brown sugar 
1 cup water.  optional.  I used water to get my sauce the constancy I wanted.  

1) Peel and cut apples
2) Place in Crock pot along with cinnamon, lemon juice, nutmeg and sugar.
3) Peel and cube your butternut squash.



4) Steam your butternut squash cubes.  I used a microwavable vegetable steamer.  I wanted to make sure that the squash broke down enough.


5) After the squash is steamed. Use a spatula to mush it down before placing it in the crock pot.

6) Let your mixture cook on low for 6 hours

7) Puree your mixture to your desired consistency.  I wanted my applesauce to be chunky.


This applesauce was a big hit with my family.  My son and I are in Chicago visiting my folks this week while my husband is out of the country on business.  My parents and son all Loved this dessert.  It reminded me of fall ( with the air conditioning on it kind of feels like Fall inside).

My mom thinks that we need to use the leftover Butternut squash applesauce with pork chops later on in the week.


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear your comments!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home